gatacat - world adventurer

living and savoring all the flavors the world has to offer

Thursday, December 01, 2005

First time for everything

2 weeks ago, I had a list of reasons why I didn't support reading blogs, much less creating one. I am a private person. I don't like the idea of having information about me on the web. I am simply not at ease with the trend towards this type of transparency. I don't like the impersonal feel of the blog - I want to talk to my friends and family, not read about them on some silly website.

Yet here I am, writing on this thing. Why? 2 big reasons.

1) I will soon be traveling around southeast Asia. Calling and talking to people will be difficult. Reassuring my large group of friends and family that I am still alive will also be difficult. Sharing my stories and pictures on a regular basis will be nearly impposible. I thought to myself, perhaps a blog would be the simpliest and most appropriate vehicle to achieve my communication needs.

2) The first reason is more of a logical reason. This second one is perhaps more important. Technology will continue to evolve. Methods of communication today differ significantly from those 20 years ago. If I do not embrace, or at least ride with the changes, where will I be in another 20 years? I have always embraced trying new things -- so here I am, giving this a shot.


Anyway. For something less profound and more interesting. My search for a blog name took me through many avenues of creativity. (yeah right. more like other people's.) But in my effort to keep the word "cat" in the blog name, I took up J-mama's suggestion and researched the many translations of the word into other languages. Here they are.

Language Lesson for the Day - Translating "cat"

Dutch - kat
Russian - kot
Norwegian/Swedish - katt
German - katze
Swahili - paka
Finish - kissa
Spanish/Portuguese - gato
Italian - gatto
French - chat
Hungarian - krapek, mukso, pasas, macska, manus.

Can someone please explain to me why there are 5 different ways of writing "cat" in Hungarian?

4 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

Hooray! Bienvenida! It is an honor and a privilege to be your *first* (commenter).

I cannot explain why there are so many ways to say Cat in Hungarian; however I would like to offer you the following comparison: Cat, Kitty, Kittycat, Pussycat, and Feline.

Also, "kot" closely resembles "hot," which aptly describes you. "Kissa." That one speaks for itself. MWAH!

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bienvenidos, to the mysterious world of blogs. Commendations are in order for one brave step for Gato, one giant leap for...uh...your loyal fan club.

Secondly, I would like to take this opportunity to broadcast to the ENTIRE WORLD a severe limitation the Internet places on you: namely, we cannot see your hottness.

I can personally testify to the almost flammable hottness of Gato, which has been known to leave men feeling, in the words of the esteemable Nora Roberts, "hot and bothered."

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

I am getting hot and bothered just thinking about Cat getting other people hot and bothered.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

Just so you know, I'll be putting up a new comment every few days until you give me a new post to comment on. I call it gentle encouragement. CAT, I GENTLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO WRITE SOMETHING ELSE EXCITING. YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY EXPECT ME TO DO WORK. IT IS FINALS TIME. IT IS YOUR DUTY TO ENTERTAIN ME.

thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home