Tips on what to bring
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/15/fashion/thursdaystyles/15online.html?emc=eta1
Thanks to K-teen choi for sending on this link. I spent the majority of this morning exploring ALL the websites listed in the article to see whether I, great goddess of traveling, have forgotten anything important as I prepare for my trip.
I may have to renounce my throne in the halls of Mt. Olympus.
Well, I didn't really forget anything. But I did learn a lot from reading http://walkabouttravelgear.com/. So much that it has now been added to my list of links. The most useful part of the website, Walkabout Tips, is not navigable and not organized well. You will have to spend some jolly good time reading through every posting. But here are a few tips I learned and, from personal experience, find most helpful.
- Change your ATM pin number to no more than 4 numbers. And make sure that it does not begin with a 0. Many foreign ATM machines have limitations.
- Security/money belt should be HIDDEN. Basically, that means at no time should you be getting money out of it. Carry spending money with you somewhere else. And NEVER use a neck pouch. It is easy to cut off and may hurt a lot if yanked against your neck. (ouch!)
- Leave a copy of your passport and flight itinerary with friends and family. Better yet, SCAN your passport and paper itinerary onto the computer, EMAIL it to yourself and your friends and family. That way, you can always access a copy yourself at any internet cafes.
- Take pictures of your luggage and keep a copy with you when you are on the plane, train, bus, etc. It will be easier to describe it in case it is lost.
- Send yourself a list of contact names.
- Bring a list of international numbers with you -- for your banks, insurance, etc. 800 numbers don't work from foreign countries!
- Bring copies of your prescription - including contact lenses.
- Always have extra copies of passport pictures on you. (Not 1 or 2. More like 4-5). Why? For visas, for replacement passports, and especially in Paris, for Carte Orange (week long subway/bus pass that's a lot cheaper but requires 1 photo)
- For the ladies - make sure to pack at least 1 sarong/kanga with you. It can double as a skirt, head covering, towel, pinic blanket, pillow, etc. etc.
- Always bring duct tape. Instead of bringing the entire roll, get a pencil and wrap it around the pencil. That way it's small and easily packable.
- Bring floss. Yes to floss your teeth. But it can also be used as a clothing line, thread, string, etc.
- Bring lots of safety pins of different sizes. Can be used to tighten curtains/ mosquito nets, "locking" your bags, etc.
- Bring nail clippers - apparently lots of travelers forget them.
- Bring locks -- TSA locks. These are locks that TSA officials can unlock with a special code without breaking nor damaging them. There are some that will even indicate to you whether they have been opened by TSA people (or otherwise.)
- Of course, always bring ziplock bags. Never know when you may need them!
- Attach a small angel to your luggage -- especially in Latin American countries. Thiefs are superstitious people.
- Whenever you get to a new hostel or hotel, always take several of their cards and carry them with you. It is the MOST helpful thing to have when you are lost, especially when you cannot speak the local language.
- Of course, some basics: Bring flashight, chargers, alarm clock, meds, sunblock, bugspray, a good book, and journal and pen. (For all the "bottles" you may bring, make sure they won't leak or explode. Better put them in ziplocks!)
A final note.
I do not like the security/money belts in the market today. They are way too big and cumbersome. Do you really need 5 different compartments for money, credit cards, passport, vaccination cards, etc.? Remember you are not supposed to be using it as a wallet, so what do you have to compartmentalize everything?!
I am making my own. It is going to be silk (closer to skin and more comfortable). And yes, if I can help it, purple. It is also going to be small. No 12in x 5.5in thing on me. Mine will be 6in x 4.5in. That's it. It will be glorious and comfortable.
Now that I think about it, maybe I'll make it out of some kind of wick material. Maybe I can buy a really cheap kids t-shirt from EMS or REI and use that to make it. That might be easier and better. hmmm...

1 Comments:
gato - you are a wealth of excellent information for the world traveller wannabe. I like having someone do all my research for me. Thanks :)
Post a Comment
<< Home