gatacat - world adventurer

living and savoring all the flavors the world has to offer

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Day of travel

6:45pm

  • I should have double-checked my tickets.
  • I should have stayed in Ko Samui instead of Ko Tao last night
  • I should have known that the boat would arrive late.
  • I should have guessed that there would be a narrow opportunity to leave Samui in this type of weather.
  • So many I should have's.
And yet, after 12 hours in Samui, I am still on standby, for an unknown flight. Either tonight or tomorrow. When I arrived at 12pm for my 11:30a flight, I thought that I would have no problems jumping onto the next flight. Unfortunately, I was joined in the queue by hundreds of passengers stranded on the island from the day before. When it rains in Samui, no flights come in and no flights go out. Because I wrote the wrong time in my notebook (1:30 instead of 11:30) and because my boat landed an hour late (12:00 instead of 11:00), chances of making my flight was nil. But my flight didn't actually leave until after 2pm. And yet, they still wouldn't let me check in. So I waited in the stand-by line and was told to return at 5pm. At 5pm, I went and stood in the long line again and was told to return at 8pm. I've had 2 crab meals at the restaurant across from the airport. Sitting here. Waiting. Knowing that I"ll have to spend another 1500 Baht for the purchase of a new ticket from Bangkok to Udon Thani because Air Asia refuse to rebook me on a later flight. Something about me not flying with them from Samui. Please! They don't even fly to Samui. Only Bangkok Air does! Sigh. Can't you tell I'm thoroughly enjoy this? And all I want to do is go back to Nong Khai. Thank goodness I don't have to teach tomorrow.

9:00pm.
I lied my way into getting a ticket. I want out. And it wasn't a bad lie, just not completely accurate. Bangkok Air paged all passengers with connecting flights. Well, mine already departed hours ago and I haven't bought a new ticket. But I will the moment I land. If I didn't do that, I"d still be here in Samui tomorrow. I'm just hoping that the weather doesn't go crazy again. I want out.
A positive thing though. I'm using FREE internet provided in the departure terminal. And they are giving us free sandwiches and soft drinks. And there's TV. Yay.

9:40pm.
My flight is delayed for another hour. whee.

11:40pm.
I finally got onto the plane.


1:00am.
I arrived in Bangkok. I will be spending the night sleeping on these hard uncomfortable chairs.

2:00am.
Loud voices talking. The guys sitting several chairs down are having a loud conversation. At 2 in the morning. What the XXXX?!

5:00am.
Waiting in line to buy ticket back to Udon Thani. Don't care how much it costs. I just want to go back.


9:00am.
Back in the dorm! YES!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home