gatacat - world adventurer

living and savoring all the flavors the world has to offer

Monday, February 06, 2006

Just say no.

So when I returned to the dorm from my jaunt to the train station, I was greeted with an overwhelming welcome by the volunteers. I didn't think much of it (obviously not, 'cuz everyone likes me right? hahaa) until several of them hollered "Cat, just say yes." Suspicious, I asked "what am I saying yes to?" Response: "Just say yes."
Tired from the bike ride and in hindsight, stupid, I said "yes?" In the split of a second, I was pulled out into the courtyard by Mooey and told "let's go." By then, my senses and smarts have returned to me.

Me - Where are we going?
Mooey - Not we. You.
Me - What? Where am I going?
Mooey - You are going to be a private tutor for 2 kids.
Me - (Shouting over the laughter in the dorm) You all suck!
Me - (Turning back to Mooey) Why am I doing this?
Mooey - Because Lola can't make it.
Me - Who are they? What's going on? Why am I doing this?
Mooey - Come on, let's go. It's just for an hour and they'll feed you.
Me - (Noticing that Christoph came out of the dorm and is therefore an unsuspecting victim like I was 5 mins ago) Christoph, let's go.
Christoph - What? Where am I going?
Me - Doesn't matter. Let's go.

How did this all end?

We tutored (actually, I should say I tutored since Christoph spoke possibly less than the kids combined) 2 rich kids (big house, mable floors, loads of high tech toys, big fancy car) for 1.5 hours. Towards the end, I smelled the sweet aroma of Thai home cooking. At least I was going to get good food. Right? WRONG! At the end of 1.5 hours, we were ushered into the big car and dropped off back at the dorm. What did I get out of this? 1 bottle of water.

It sucked. I came to Thailand to help poor kids and ended up teaching rich kids and did not even get paid for my time! Next time, I'm saying "NO."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home