gatacat - world adventurer

living and savoring all the flavors the world has to offer

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Killing 2 Stones with 1 Bird

May 20, 2006. Ayers Rock, Australia.
Actually, it was more killing 2 rocks with a car from Thrifty. In the span of 5 hours, Erik and I visited 2 of Australia's natural treasures - Ayers Rock (Uluru) and the Olgas (Kata Tjuta).
Defying the request of the local aboriginals (the most wealthy aboriginals in Australia), we climbed up to the top of Ayers Rock. The views were stunning the the climb highlighted how out of shape I am.
Regardless, this rock formation is unlike any I've ever seen. 1 single piece of red rock with a circumference of 10 km, a height of 348 m and a hidden depth of 6 km underground. And unlike a tourist attraction you may find in the U.S., this site flaunts its negative stats - number of deaths and injuries per year from climbing the rock. Alas, I toyed with death again.
At the Olgas 45 km away, the views were completely different. The rocks were first and foremost, a different type of rock. 38 redish rock domes just randomly rise out of complete flat land.
On the whole, I found the Olgas much more stunning from afar, but a single, giant piece of rock like Ayers can't help but get more attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home