gatacat - world adventurer

living and savoring all the flavors the world has to offer

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

More wine tasting

June 6-7, 2006. Marlborough, New Zealand.

One of New Zealand's main attractions for me was the Marlborough wine region. I can still remember the first time I tasted a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. (Disclaimer: The following memory has been truncated and paraphrased.)

(Flashback to dinner in South San Francisco, early 2004 I think)
Coworker Jim: Hey Cat, want some Sauvignon Blanc?
Me: No, not really. I don't really like S.Bs. They are too fruity for me.
Jim: Have you ever had a Marlborough one?
Me: The cigarette company?
Jim: No, Marlborough, New Zealand. Trust me, this is different.
Me: Hmm. Nope. All right, I'll just take a sip. (Takes a sip)
Me: Wow. I actually like this stuff! It's not nasty like the Californian ones.
Jim: Yup. Told ya. If you ever go to New Zealand, make sure you visit Marlborough. A lot of their best stuff doesn't make it out of New Zealand.
Me: Sure. Whenever it is that I actually get around to going.
(End flashback.)

So here's to you Jim. I went, I tried it and unfortunately, I didn't find too many I liked! Disappointed? Yes, but I still had a great time tasting. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home