Wines of Australia
May 23, 2006, Barossa. May 26, 2006, Rutherglen. May 28, 2006, Hunter Valley.
I tasted a lot of wines in Australia. And I really mean A LOT. In 3 regions. My focus on these areas was Shiraz and dessert wines. Most people know that Australia is famous for its Shiraz. But not many know about the dessert wines, especially fortified wines. In the beginning of Australia's wine-making days, it only made fortified wines such as ports and tokays. Rutherglen is very well-known for these stickies. As you can imagine, I was a very happy camper.
So here's a quick list of some of my favorites.
Tawney Port: Rosemont Old Benson Tawney
Tokay: Buller Calliope Rare Liqueur Tokay
Seppelt DP 57 Grand Tokay*
Fortified Muscat: Seppelt GR 113 Rare Muscat.*
Botrytis Semillon: Elderton Botrytis Semillon*
Shiraz: Too many good ones, but nothing that made me go "WOW".
Rose: Audrey Wilkinson Pioneer Rose
Interesting Wines:
- Buller Bush Vine Grenache*
- Buller Shiraz Viognier '04
* Indicates wine I purchased.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home