gatacat - world adventurer

living and savoring all the flavors the world has to offer

Thursday, June 01, 2006

From Adelaide to Sydney (A short Synopsis)

May 22 -30, 2006.  Adelaide to Sydney.
 
I started getting lower back pains at Ayers Rock from sitting all day in the car.  Unfortunately, it didn't get better when we arrived in Adelaide where we began our 2,500km drive to Sydney via the Great Ocean Rd, Melbourne & Albury but first with a detour to Barossa for some wine tasting.
 
Erik & I completely underestimated the amount of time it took to drive on the Great Ocean Road.  Instead of 4, it took about 8.  After leaving the lovely Barossa wine region, luck was not on our side during our first few hours and we ended up being stuck at Port Campbell for the night because of a storm.  (The only benefit from that stop was the cabin we stayed at.  The owners built it themselves and used real timber counter tops, etc.  I got a glimpse at their house too, it was AMAZING!)
 
The storm did not mark the end of my bad luck.  I had to sleep through most of the beautiful drive the next day because I was getting dizzy and car sick!  GRRRR...
 
When we arrived at Melbourne, we spent 2 hours at Victoria market eating and goggling at cheese shops, pastry shops, butchers, fisheries, etc...  Why don't we have places like that in the U.S.?  It's a crime!
 
In Melbourne, we stayed at my cousin 2-2 (Uncle 2's #2 son).  I haven't seen him for about 20 yaers.  Wow.  Simply put, it was a bit awkward since we didn't know what to talk about.  So instead, I spent a lot of time playing Uno with his 2 kids.  And yes, I lost.  Big time.  To both of them.  And Erik.  Sigh.  The benefit of being in Melbourne, aside from seeing my cousin and family, was doing laundry!  (Yes, it was the first time I did laundry after arriving in Australia.  Can you just imagine? hahaa)  And I also got my own room and a queen size bed to sleep on.  Ahhhhhhh...
 
The next day, Erik and I drove to Rutherglen for another day of tasting -- primarily focused on stickies (dessert wines).  Because we arrived early, we decided to make the long drive to Sydney that night instead of waiting another day.  We arrived at Jeff So's place and suddenly I felt at home.  (Home enough to raid his fridge for dinner.  What are friends for? =) )It's been 5 years since I last saw Jeff and it's almost as though nothing has changed.  I still continued to torture him as I did when we were younger.  HAHAA... 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home