What in the name of education?
I had an enlightening night last night. I learned about the sad state of education in Vietnam.
Fact: There is a demand for employees with university/college degrees. ***
Fact: There is limited government funding for universities and colleges.
Fact: As a result, universities and colleges can admit a limited number of students.
Fact: Universities and colleges need more funding and want to make more money.
Solution: Creation of a business based on partnerships with various universities and colleges. The business would provide teachers and classes for any student who can pay the application fee and tuition, which is shared by the business and school. In return, after fulfilling a set of requirements, the student would receive a diploma as a "graduate" of said university or college.
And yes, this business exists.
What kind of education is this?!?!!!
It is no longer about educating people. It is all about money and how much you can make by feeding the demand for diplomas. This is sick.
*** In Vietnam, universities are distinctly different from colleges, university education is more highly regarded.

2 Comments:
These intellectual observations are all very nice, but let's get to the important stuff. Have you learned how to say, "I'm a wild monkey," in Thai and Vietnamese yet?
Hi Cat,
Thanks for sending the link to your blog. What an amazing adventure you are having. Regarding universities vs. colleges, the value of one vs. the other is true throughout most of the world (I think).
Your travels remind me of travel I routinely did years ago to the Far East. I've spent a fair amount of time in Thailand (primarily BKK and Phuket), Malaysia (KL and Penang), Singapore, and Hong Kong (before and after the handover). I really used to enjoy it.
I admit I don't look at our blog everyday, but I do have it bookmarked and when the need arises to escape from an immediate situation, I take a 60-second trip to Far East, thanks to your blog.
I hope you continue to immerse yourself on this wonderful adventure.
Larry
Post a Comment
<< Home