gatacat - world adventurer

living and savoring all the flavors the world has to offer

Monday, February 27, 2006

Trip to Laos and the Return

My trip to Laos was fabulous. I love the country. It is so beautiful and untouched. If you get a chance, you should visit it.

Unfortunately for me, my trip was a bit short. I only have a few days and 4 cities to do. Johanna was with me in Vang Viang and then we went our separate ways.

Wed 2/22
Nong Khai to Vientiane
  • Uneventful except for the fabulous quiche I had at Joma's. Yum.
Wed 2/22
Vientiane to Vang Viang
  • The ride on the sawnthieaw (pickup truck with seats in back) was not very comfortable. But for $2, it took Johanna and me to a beautiful city.
  • I learned a lot about Sweden that night. =) We spent at least an hour laughing about random stuff. It was awesome!
Thurs 2/23
Vang Viang
  • Spent the day tubing down the river. It was such a slow river that we had to paddle ourselves down it. And it took 4 hours. But I am now nice and tan again.
  • The river itself is nothing to brag about, but the hills next to them are gorgeous. They are what I call Chinese mountains - just like the ones that show up in traditional Chinese paintings.
  • We were so tired from tubing that we spent the night sitting at a restaurant in front of the TV showing the final season of friends (from DVD). Basically, everyone sat there for about 4-5 hours. How the restaurant makes money? Beats me. They certainly don't charge enough.
Fri 2/24
Vang Viang to Phon Savanh (Plain of Jars)
  • There was only 1 bus a day from VV to PS. The ride was about 6.5 hours long. In an old bus. On curvy mountain roads. I sat next to a man with a foot-long blade. Several seats behind me was a man with a rifle. I didn't understand why he had one with him. But he got up at every stop. The road we took was dangerous several years ago -- with tourist shootings. I felt both safer and less-safe with the gun on the bus.
  • But the scenery was stunning. The mountains were beautiful and highlighted little villages we passed along the way. So beautiful.
  • When I arrived in PS (4pm), I learned that there were no afternoon buses to my next destination, Louang Phabang. Only 1 morning one. It would be impossible for me to leave PS on Sunday (6-8hrs ride) because I had reservations on a flight from Louang Phabang back to Vientiane in the afternoon. I started to freak out in my mind. What if I had to leave the next morning? What if I don't get to see the Jars??
  • I wanted to come to Phon Savanh because of the Plain of Jars. The Plain of Jars is an archaeological site covered with huge stone jars that either held remains of villagers or was used to keep rice. (No one really knows.)
  • After checking into a guesthouse (went to 7 to look for a cheap room), I went to a tour agency and convinced the guide to take me to one of the Jar sites immediately. After paying him a LOT of money (USD$13), we went for a ride and saw the jars. It was amazing. And sad. During the Vietnam war, the U.S. bombed the place down. You can still see bomb craters.
  • My guide asked me join him and his friends for a drink of some Lao alcohol (I said no). He then said that he can give me a ride to Louang Phabang the next day because he was guiding 2 doctors there. I said yes to that -- so much nicer in a minivan than a freakin local bus. Of course, this was against his company policy -- he gets to pocket every cent. But I could care less.
Saturday 2/25
Phon Savanh to Louang Phabang
  • 6am. Met with the guide and started the drive. The mountains were covered with fog. But as we drove higher, the views of the mountain range and the fog in the valley was stunning. We also visited some of the villages and took pictures with the kids.
  • Louang Phabang is nestled between 2 rivers and surrounded by mountain ranges. The architecture was very French Colonial (after all, Laos was a French colony). It was such a quaint and beautiful town.
  • I went across the Mekong, climbed up a hill and watched the sun set on Louang Phabang from a battered temple. Everything was so quiet and calm. The boys were playing soccer and the women were bathing in the river. There is something very appealing about this lifestyle.
  • But at night, I reverted back to my tourist self and went to the night market. Every stall sold the same thing - bags or Lao textiles. But the colors from the textiles made the entire street come alive. And for 5000kip (USD$0.50), I ate at an all-you-can eat per plate stand. Such good food! And for another 2000kip, I had some mouth-watering mangos. =)
Sunday 2/26
Louang Phabang to Vientiane
  • I spent the morning walking around the city. I visited a beautiful temple (Wat Xiang Thong) at the end of town. Every wall in the temple was covered with mosaics telling of its history. And then I walked up the hill (Phou Si) and saw Louang Phabang from the top. Such a nice town in a beautiful landscape. I'm infatuated with this town.
  • After I checked out of the guesthouse, I went to the airport and prayed for a standby seat on an earlier flight. (If I took my original flight, I would not be able to cross the border back into Thailand.) Luckily I got on and spent my time talk to a Dutch man (Phil) next to me.
  • When we got into Vientiane, I hopped on his taxi and went back into town. He paid. The beautiful of an expense budget. I miss it. =)

Nong Khai

  • I returned to Nong Khai, unscathed, a bit tired, but all around happy with my trip.
  • And then I found out that my bed had been taken by someone other volunteer who was visiting for the weekend. And they put their stuff in my shelves. Let's just say I wasn't happy. It sucks to come "home" to nothing. Where is the sense of stability? Security? Especially when these girls just randomly put their keys everywhere. Keys to MY STUFF! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR I made my feelings known.
  • And like a good little ex-consultant, I have gathered up my forces (other volunteers) and we're putting together a list of feedback for Travel to Teach. The program is really a good program, but there are many areas for improvements. Presentation to the program will be Wed night.

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So where did my roommate sleep? Someone was in her bed! Did you go three bears vs goldilocks on her?

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Cat said...

I slept in another room, on another bed. And because I couldn't find any clean sheets, I just used the ones that were already in the bed. Yuck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home