How many security checkpoints does it take...
Tuesday, February 17, 2008. Mumbai Airport, India
In the U.S., we complain about TSA all the time.
"They're so slow."
"Seriously, are they seriously going to check me? Dude, I have nothing on me!"
"Why do they keep searching me??"
Well, they are NOTHING compared to the security checkpoints at the Mumbai Airport.
Check Point#1: Before the queue to enter the airport.
Natalya and I went up to the guard and told him that we're flying Thai Airways. He would not let us in and told us to go to another door even though the sign clearly identifies Thai Airways through the door. We were ushered up a different set of stairs to long hallways leading to unknown territories.
CP#2: Upstairs in a long hallway.
The guard told me to sign the log sheet (what airport has a freakin log sheet?) when I asked him to point us to Thai Airways. We then wandered towards what ended up being the office, not the flight. Seriously, we had luggage. The only people who go upstairs are employees. Did he really think we were employees?! We go back towards the guard
CP#3: Upstairs in a long hallway. x2
Frustrated, we went back towards the guard in the hallway. He kept pointing to the log sheet. Apparently I hadn't signed it and he would not let me go without signing it. Dude, you screwed up the first time and now you're trying to make me feel like it's my fault?
CP#4: Before the queue to enter the airport. x2
I pushed through the guard at the queue and ignored his yelling. Natalya was not as successful. But eventually there were too many people coming through for him to stop her.
CP#5: Door to the airport.
We showed the guard our passports and itinerary. The guard let me pass and stopped Natalya. He insisted that her name was not on the itinerary. So they mispelled her first name, but her last name was clearly there. She had to match it up letter for letter before he would let her pass. Seriously?
CP#6: Gate to departure immigration.
CP#7: Departure customs.
CP#8: Security checkpoint. Front.
I was stopped because I forgot to take my scissors out.
CP#9: Security checkpoint. Middle = Front + 10 Steps.
After removing my scissors, a guard wrote my name, flight and passport information down in a log. She then stamped my boarding pass and the luggage tags on both of my bags.
CP#10: Security checkpoint. End = Middle + 5 Steps.
Guard checks boarding pass and luggage tags. All of them.
CP#11: Gate.
CP#12: Gate + 10 Steps.
Do I feel more secure with that extensive security checkpoint system?
Suddenly, I feel such affection for TSA.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home