Another night with the monks
I went to the temple to teach the monks again last night. These are not holy monks. Nor are they proper monks. On my way out after the lesson, the following dialogue ensued.
Monk - "When will you be back again?"
Me - "I'm not sure. Maybe next week. The volunteers take turn coming here. And there are a lot of new volunteers coming who will want to come teach you."
Monk - "So when will you be back?"
Me - "I don't know. Probably next week."
Monk - "You should come Tuesday."
Me - "Maybe"
Monk - "Come back again. You are very pretty and you have a very pretty voice."
Me - "...."
Yes, that made me uncomfortable. And yes, I think I'm bad news for the monks. But I also found out that some of the monks have girlfriends. Monk with girlfriends! Where is the sanctity of monk-hood?
On the other hand. The lesson itself went very well. I found out that university English classes incorporate very little speaking practice into the curriculum. The monks focus most of their time on writing and reading. Starting next week, I will try to create a more structure lesson plan for the older monks. 2 days a week, we will have them read out loud from a book. This will allow us to help them with their pronounciation and be more bold about speaking in front of other people. Hopefully, this will work. I think it will help.

1 Comments:
"You are very pretty and you have a very pretty voice."
Seems like the monks know some smmooooth English! Now tell me Roommate, did they already know that, or did you teach them to say that?
-Roommate
Post a Comment
<< Home