gatacat - world adventurer

living and savoring all the flavors the world has to offer

Monday, January 30, 2006

First kiss @ school

I know that I promised not to kiss anybody while I'm here in Thailand, but I must confess that I've already broken the promise.

No, it's not what you might think. (so maybe I didn't really break the promise right?)

Within 2 minutes of being introduced as the new teacher at my school, I had 3 kids clinging onto my arms, hugging me and kissing my cheeks. By the time my class ended 4 hours later, the kids were standing in line waiting to give me and receive from me good-bye kisses.

The kids I "taught" today were between the ages of 9-11. We spent the morning drawing and painting. For those of you who are curious as to how we communicate -- charades and pictionary. And yes, some English too.

These kids were so adorable and loving. So open to complete strangers. In the U.S., kids are taught early to be wary of strangers. In Nong Khai, they are taught to embrace strangers and incorporate them into their lives almost immediately. How is it that these children are so accepting? And at what age do kids change? At what age do children grow up and become cynical?

7 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, Blogger Kristie said...

Does that count toward your New Year's resolution? I think it has enough warm fuzziness packed into it to do the trick. In fact, I would liken it to warm honey butter, good and sweet.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had warm honey butter with toast at approximately 5:30am Eastern Standard Time, which is 1030 ZULU Time, I think. This is important because now that are we (once again) spread across more than one time zone, we should utilize a single point of reference. Also, my very cute flight instructor has told me to practice converting local to ZULU time. ZULU is the word of the day.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Cat said...

Hmmm.. maybe it can go towards my new years resolution.. but i already had one for january. and speaking of honey butter, i actually went to look for it at the supermarket.. but as expected, i did not find it. but i did get myself a jar of peanut butter. =)

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the kissing. The laws are different in Thailand. =)

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

What was January? Touching my bathrobe?

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Cat said...

do enlighten us erick. would you like to share some personal experience with the readers of this blog about the kissing laws of thailand?

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Cat said...

k- touching your bathrobe was pretty tremendous, i must say. but i think new years eve topped it 'cuz meeting gwyneth, hanging out with good friends, eating good sushi, and finding such a good new years resolution were pretty tremendous events that i can still vividly recall. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home