gatacat - world adventurer

living and savoring all the flavors the world has to offer

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Internet Lady

At first glance, the Internet Lady is simply an elderly woman running an internet cafe. But one should never judge a book by its cover. During my second trip to the internet cafe, I learned that her English is better than that of most local Thai. Yesterday, I found out that she's a scrabble-wiz. Her skills are legandary around Nong Khai. She often invites foreigners who use her computers to play scrabble with her. And more often than not, they lose.

I will challenge her this weekend to a dual to the death.

And maybe she'll treat me to several more lotus leaves wraps. (Lotus leaves wrapped around sticky rice and crush beans. --YUM)

1 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Cat,

Your blog is fun to read. It's nice that you keep posting pictures for us to enjoy. Did you know one of the top Scrabble players in the world is a 20-something Thai guy who can barely speak English? Read the book "Word Freak" to fully appreciate the lengths competitive Scrabble players go to win. I'm just happy I scored 453 points two weeks ago with beautiful words like "detrain" and "welters".

-Stan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home