Dinner Entertainment
Not only was the dinner itself interesting, I also had great entertainment. While I was writing in my notebook about dinner, a Dutch-Chinese family with 2 young children (they are so going to be good looking when they grow up) walked into the restaurant and sat at the table next to mine. As typical with foreigners in foreign countries, we started talking. Soon the 2 children decided that I was much more entertaining than the food. (Cue in Andrea and Greg)
Greg (age 7): What are you eating?
Me: Baby shark.
G: What does it taste like?
Me: Fish.
Andrea (age 10, but proudly going on 11 and already an established 'tween): Why does everyone say that things taste like fish? Wait, is it fish?
Me: No. It's "everything tastes like chicken."
A: Why does everything taste like chicken?
Me: I'm not sure. But have you had frogs?
A: Yes.
Me: Does it taste like chicken?
A: I can't remember! I was too young.
Me: Well, it tastes like chicken. Want some baby shark?
A: (With attitude) No, I don't like fish.
--- We proceeded to discuss their dead fish pet, dead hamster nearly-pets, rescued kittens, friends, Kevin in LA, grandma in China, why siblings annoy each other, how it is their duty to annoy each other, the whole works. At the same time, the 2 of them ate all my rice cake. Finally, baby shark was served at their table. ---
Their Mom: Come over and try some shark.
A: I don't like fish (but goes anyway).
G: I'm full. I don't want any more.
Me: So how's the shark?
A: (blushing) It's good.
G: (jumps for joy around my table) See! My sister was wrong!!! Are you going to put that in your journal?
Me: Would you like me to?
G: Yes!! Write it, write it!! Write that Andrea said that she wouldn't like shark, but she does! She lied!!
Ah.. child play. I miss my little cousins... I guess they aren't so little anymore.

1 Comments:
I believe Greg is on to 2 universal truths:
1. My sister was wrong
2. It is the duty of siblings to annoy each other
Post a Comment
<< Home