Killing of a Shark
March 31, 2006
I contributed to the killing of a shark today. But with green papaya, pickled carrots and delicious lemon sauce, I really couldn't say no.
This all began when I submitted myself to the mercy of my photocopied copy of the Lonely Planet (Yes, you can buy those everywhere in Vietnam. To hell with copyright laws and stuff - It was only $12) and went to what LP called the best restaurant in Hoi An - Cafe des Amis. This famed restaurant serves an assortment of dishes - all a surprise to the guest. We are simply given a choice of 3 menus - vegetarian, meat or seafood.
Naturally, I chose the seafood menu, without shrimps of course. (Damn my allergy - only if my throat didn't constrict when I eat shrimp. I'd so risk eating shrimps more often.. grrr)
What I received was 4 course of seafood cooked to perfect deliciousness. These are not necessarily fancy dashes as you (Americans) may expect from a restaurant with a french name. But they were simple dishes where everything is cooked right, cooked properly, with the right flavors and textures.
1st Course: Asian crab bisque with crab, rice, scallions, barley and something else.
2nd Course: Fried fish balls covered with young rice with a tomato sauce and soy sauce dip. (Crispy perfection)
3rd Course: Mixed vegetables with squid. (Everything was cooked perfectly - not one second overcooked and undercooked. A very difficult task. It was such a harmonious medley!)
4th Course: Baby shark with pickled green papaya and carrots with a lemon sauce dip. (Baby shark is good stuff. Not chewy, very meaty.)
By the time I got the 4th course, I was already full. Granted, I also had a mango shake (didn't go well with the food) and a bottle of the local brew - biere larue (goes much better with seafood.)
Photocopied copy of Lonely Planet, I thank thee for a lovely meal.
I contributed to the killing of a shark today. But with green papaya, pickled carrots and delicious lemon sauce, I really couldn't say no.
This all began when I submitted myself to the mercy of my photocopied copy of the Lonely Planet (Yes, you can buy those everywhere in Vietnam. To hell with copyright laws and stuff - It was only $12) and went to what LP called the best restaurant in Hoi An - Cafe des Amis. This famed restaurant serves an assortment of dishes - all a surprise to the guest. We are simply given a choice of 3 menus - vegetarian, meat or seafood.
Naturally, I chose the seafood menu, without shrimps of course. (Damn my allergy - only if my throat didn't constrict when I eat shrimp. I'd so risk eating shrimps more often.. grrr)
What I received was 4 course of seafood cooked to perfect deliciousness. These are not necessarily fancy dashes as you (Americans) may expect from a restaurant with a french name. But they were simple dishes where everything is cooked right, cooked properly, with the right flavors and textures.
1st Course: Asian crab bisque with crab, rice, scallions, barley and something else.
2nd Course: Fried fish balls covered with young rice with a tomato sauce and soy sauce dip. (Crispy perfection)
3rd Course: Mixed vegetables with squid. (Everything was cooked perfectly - not one second overcooked and undercooked. A very difficult task. It was such a harmonious medley!)
4th Course: Baby shark with pickled green papaya and carrots with a lemon sauce dip. (Baby shark is good stuff. Not chewy, very meaty.)
By the time I got the 4th course, I was already full. Granted, I also had a mango shake (didn't go well with the food) and a bottle of the local brew - biere larue (goes much better with seafood.)
Photocopied copy of Lonely Planet, I thank thee for a lovely meal.

1 Comments:
Sad that you did not eat shrimp, but lovely that you gobbled up plenty of sea creatures. I am hungry now! -Roommate
Post a Comment
<< Home